By social norms we mean nothing else,as certain patterns and rules of behavior that are entrenched in society. This consolidation occurred as a result of practical activity, during which certain standards appeared, as well as behaviors that were recognized as standard. Social norms of behavior determine how a person should act in certain situations. To some extent, they determine what kind of person should be.
Social norms are numerous:
- norms of morality. One is good, and the other is bad, one is good, and the other is evil. As a rule, sanctions in this case are public censure, as well as remorse;
- norms of etiquette. These are norms of communication, rules of negotiation and so on. They determine how a person should behave in society;
- the rule of law. They are fixed in laws. Their non-compliance leads to state sanctions;
- traditions and customs. They are entrenched as a result of long repetitions;
- political norms. As it is clear from the title, they regulate political life. These norms are fixed in international treaties, charters and so on;
aesthetic norms. Applied to the work of art, the actions of man and so on;
- corporate standards. Regulate the relationship within any organization;
- religious norms. Contained in the scriptures.
Social norms and sanctions
It is necessary that every member of society shouldto social norms seriously and fulfilled them unquestioningly. First and foremost, this is necessary in order to protect the person himself and the whole society as a whole. Punishment for non-observance of social norms - various sanctions, which can be very specific in this case. It is also about the agony of conscience, and about sanctions from the state. Everything depends on the specific case and on what social norms were violated.
Social norms and their features
All these norms somehow regulate thoserelations that arise as a result of the implementation of socio-cultural, political and many other tasks that arise before the state, society and, of course, an individual.
Social norms are regulators,establishing a very specific and clear framework for the behavior of all participants in social relations. Of course, these norms contain the same measures and commands. Social norms are distinctive because they are not addressed to anyone, but at the same time are addressed to everyone. No one can violate them with impunity. Regulatory impact in this case is aimed at achieving a certain state of social relations. For this, mechanisms of social coercion can be used.
The better developed society, the better developed insocial norms. The sphere of their action is always social relations. Social norms are created within the collectives and are intended for the same collectives.
From the above, it can be concluded that these norms help to make interaction between people as effective as possible.
Social norms can be characterized by the following:
- they are of a general nature, that is, they can not be applied only to someone individually;
- they indicate how a person should behave in order to be useful to society;
- For non-observance of social norms, sanctions must necessarily follow.
Finally, I want to note that social normsespecially effective not when a person observes them only in order to avoid any sanctions, but when he personally realizes their importance and necessity.